Monday, April 20, 2009

Spotting Lunch - Crab Melt on Wholewheat English Muffins

For as long as I can remember my mother's choice sandwich was a tuna melt. A summer or two ago I remember her bringing home half a tuna melt sandwich from The Summer Kitchen in Newtown, Pennsylvania that looked so good every time I go to that restaurant I see if it's on the menu. We'd also make tuna melts at home for a quick lunch of dinner. I like it better than the average tuna salad sandwich (although I did make a tuna salad with grilled ahi tuna - AMAZING)... When I was on TasteSpotting looking for something for lunch and found cafenilson's crab melt - I was sold! I'll probably be trying this recipe out for my mom for Mother's Day - I know she'll love it!

Photo from cafenilson

Crab Melt on Wholewheat English Muffins

via cafenilson

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup crab meat (you can use the real thing or the imitation crab, either way it still tastes good)
  • 2 tbs butter
  • 1 tbs flour
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream, fat -free half and half or milk (I use whatever I have in my refrigerator)
  • 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded and divided into two or 4 portions depending on size of muffins used (see below)
  • paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 halves english muffins or 2 large ones

Directions:

  1. Melt butter in a medium hot sauce pan. Add flour to make a roux. Add cream (or milk) and cook until thick. Add more or less cream to make a thick enough white sauce. Add crab meat pieces, stir carefully and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
  2. Place muffin halves in a baking sheet. Divide the crab mixture in half (or four if using regular sized english muffins.)
  3. Add crab mixture on top of muffin, enough to cover. Add the cheese on top. Cheese need not cover the muffin as it will melt and spread so watch out how much you put. Sprinkle with paprika on top.
  4. Broil in the oven until cheese melts and top is crusty golden brown, usually 10 - 15 minutes.
  5. Remove and serve with salad of choice.

The serving suggestion from cafenilson is that you serve the crab melts with a salad and I agree. This would be great with almost any kind of salad that you could think of. I came across a cucumber salad in Barefoot Contessa "Back to Basics" which would be a nice along side this. But a simple red onion and heirloom tomato salad would be equally as nice. Ina's tabbouleh salad (minus the pitas) would be a great choice too!

Here's to Alaska and full bellies.
- Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment