Friday, April 17, 2009

Spotting Lunch Birthday Edition - Lobster Roll and Lobster Bisque

I love lobster... I never actually get to eat it though. I think today being my birthday is the perfect excuse to enjoy a lobster filled lunch. While on TasteSpotting I found timelessgourmet's traditional New England lobster roll and thought it would be a great alternative to a salad or everyday type sandwich. I also found peabody's lobster bisque garnished with chives. What's more special than a lobster packed birthday lunch?

Photo from timeinthekitchen

New England Lobster Rolls
via timeinthekitchen

New England Lobster Roll recipe one:

  • Meat from half of one small (1 1/4 pond) Maine lobster, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1/2 stalk peeled celery, minced
  • A few grates of freshly ground black pepper
  • New England style hot dog bun, toasted

Mix the first three ingredients together and add to the bun.

New England Style Lobster Roll recipe two:

  • Meat from half of one small (1 1/4 pond) Maine lobster, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise

Mix these two ingredients together, and serve with:

  • 1 wedge fresh lemon
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter

Squirt some lemon on top, and use the melted butter as a dipping sauce!


Photo from northwestnoshings

Lobster Bisque

via northwestnoshings

2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 tsp tomato paste
8 ounces unsalted butter
1-1/2 lbs Maine lobster
32 ounces water
2 cups heavy cream
2 bay leaves
½ cup dry sherry
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Steam lobster in water until done, about 8 minutes. Save stock. Remove lobster meat from shell; set aside. Break up lobster shells, then place them back into the water; simmer over low heat until reduced by half.
Heat half the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and celery and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
Add bay leaf, tomato paste and sherry and simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced by half.
Add cream and lobster stock and simmer over low heat (Do not boil.) for 30 to 40 minutes or until soup begins to thicken.
Season with salt and pepper. Remove lobster shells and bay leaves. Chop up lobster meat and add to bisque. Stir in remaining butter.
Serve hot with a little crème fraiche and fresh chives.


I think I'd wash all that lobster down with a simple green salad and my favorite white wine. I think I'd fall into a food coma after this lunch, but hey - it's my birthday!

Here's to Maine and full bellies.
- Cait

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! Hope you enjoyed you Lobster, YUMMY! I will have to try this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did end up having lobster in pasta for my birthday dinner...

    ReplyDelete