Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spotting Dinner - Cornish Game Hen with Pomegranate Glaze

Cornish game hens are delicious. I don't make them very often but when I have - I loved them. Depending on their size you could get away with serving a half hen per person, but when I've made them they were pretty tiny... I found FotoCuisine's cornish game hen with pomegranate glaze while TasteSpotting and I'll have to try the recipe. Not only are the hens themselves wonderful, but add pomegranate glaze (I love pomegranates) and you've got more than just a "winning" combination.

Photo from FotoCuisine

Cornish Game Hens with Pomegrante Glaze
via FotoCuisine

Ingredients:
2 rock cornish game hens (approximately 20 oz each)
1/2 cup POM 100% pomegranate juice
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 scallions, chopped
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Heat small saucepan over medium high, then add vegetable oil. When oil is hot, add garlic and ginger and sauté briefly until fragrant, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add scallions and stir until softened. Add 1/2 cup POM 100% pomegranate juice and reduce heat to low. Add honey and stir until incorporated into glaze. Keep glaze warm.

Preheat oven to 350. Tie hens and dry-roast for 15 minutes. Baste skin of hens with glaze and bake for 15 more minutes. Repeat every 15 minutes until 1 hour total cooking time. Internal temperature near the thigh should be 160 degrees. Serve with rice and chopped scallions for garnish.


You could serve the hens with practically anything and have a wonderful meal... They are served with rice on the website, but I love roasted red potatoes - so I'd possibly go with those depending on my mood. Roasted sweet potatoes would also work well.

Here's to warm ovens and full bellies.
- Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment